Sun Smart Policy
Over exposure to the sun presents a serious health risk. Students must therefore be educated as to the need for suitable sun protection, and protected from over exposure to the sun whilst at school.
This policy has been developed with advice/reference to the Cancer Council of Victoria.
• To educate students as to suitable sun smart protection strategies.
• To encourage children and teachers to protect themselves from the harmful effects of the sun.
• This policy is implemented from the beginning of September until the end of April when UV index levels reach 3 and above.
• No hat = No outdoor play
• No hat on excursion days – no attendance
• Children are encouraged to play in shaded areas. The availability of shaded areas will be considered when planning outdoor activities and excursions
• Parents must supply a legionnaire or broad brimmed hat for their child from the start of September to the end of April
• Appropriate sun protection clothing is to be considered in the school uniform/dress code.
• Children are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing (covering as much skin as possible) for outdoors
• Children who do not have appropriate clothing or hats are required to play in shaded area only
• Parents are responsible for supplying 30+ sunscreen for their children.
• Children will be encouraged to reapply sunscreen themselves during school time
• Staff will be positive role models by wearing appropriate hats, sunglasses and clothing outdoors, applying sunscreen regularly and seeking shade whenever possible
• The school, when conducting outdoor activities, will take particular care between 10am -2.00 pm (11am-3pm daylight savings time) when UV index levels reach their peak
• In the event of temperatures reaching 32 degrees, a Hot Day timetable will operate to minimise the time that students are outside in the middle of the day
9.00 – 11.00 Class time
11.00 – 11.50 “Lunch” Playtime
11.50 - 2.00 Class time - (students eat lunch in class at 1:30pm due to lunch orders)
1:50pm All students returned from specialists back to classroom teachers who release students at 2:00pm
2:00 – 2.30 Afternoon Play time
2.30 – 3.30 Class time
• Staff will ensure that the Sun Smart policy is reflected in the planning of all outdoor activities
This policy was last ratified by School Council via email: 26/07/2016