Home » Curriculum » Japanese
The students at Glen Waverley South Primary School attend weekly 60 minute sessions with a specialist Japanese teacher in our authentic Japanese classroom. The focus throughout the program is the acquisition of communication skills in Japanese. Students develop understanding about the role of language and culture in communication.
The Japanese program provides many opportunities for students from Foundation to Level 6 to learn and practise their listening, speaking, reading/viewing and writing skills and to participate in structured routines and rich language activities.
- develops intercultural capability, including understanding of and respect for diversity and difference, and an openness to different experiences and perspectives
- develops understanding of how culture shapes and extends learners’ understanding of themselves, their own heritage, values, beliefs, culture and identity
- strengthens intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities, and enhances creative and critical thinking.
Some opportunities provided to our students include:
- Word of the Week
- Annual JLTAV Junior Speech Competition
- Japanese Immersion Day Out
- Japanese Day (every 2nd year)
- Japanese Drumming
- Drawing Competition - Japan Festival
- JLTAV Calligraphy Competition