School Placement Policy
This policy sets out requirements for entry into Victorian government schools, including admissions, enrolments, the placement of students and transfers between schools.
This Enrolment Policy and the mandatory Enrolment in a Victorian Government School Guidelines, available on the Guidance tab, combines the admissions, enrolment, placement and transfers policies into one clear and concise location for Victorian government schools.
Under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic):
- Schooling is compulsory for students aged between 6 and 17 years unless an exemption from attendance has been granted. This applies to all schools including mainstream, specialist, and government English language schools or centres.
- Every Victorian student has a legislated right to enrol at their designated neighbourhood school (section 2.2.13) and may be enrolled at another school subject to sufficient accommodation (section 2.2.14).
Victorian government schools must refer to the Enrolment in a Victorian Government School Guidelines (see Guidance tab), for details on:
- age eligibility, including exceptions and exemptions from the maximum and minimum school age requirements and processes
- determining designated neighbourhood school areas and zones
- Department policy requirements relating to placement of students (Placement Policy) and enrolment management
- enrolment appeal processes and requirements
- determining permanent residence of students and families
- required documentation and information when enrolling students
- transfers between schools
- concurrent enrolment for students entering youth justice or secure welfare.
For policy and guidance on transition process and support for students moving from Year 6 to 7, refer to: Transition — Year 6 to 7.
For policy and guidance on exemptions from attendance and enrolment, refer to: Exemptions to School Attendance and Enrolment.
- Decision Making Responsibilities for Students
- Exemptions from School Attendance and Enrolment
- Home Schooling and Partial Enrolments
- International Student Program (ISP)
- Privacy and Information Sharing
- Transition — Year 6 to 7
- Transition — Early Childhood to School