Looking for the right school for your child?
Here are the Top #5 reasons to choose GWSPS as the right school for your child!
#1 Foundation transition – a happy and positive start to school
Glen Waverley South Primary School provides a caring and thoughtful transition program to support your child to begin school. For new Foundation students, their school journey begins in the year before school starts. We hold three information sessions for parents, and provide four transition sessions for our future Foundation students so that they feel safe and secure at school and grow accustomed to what the classroom and school is like. Teachers regularly visit local kindergartens to get to know your child before they start school.
During the first weeks of school in 2023, our Foundation students have been settling in to school routines and getting to know their classmates. In Week 3 of Term 1, the students went on a hunt to find their own name amongst their friends’ names. They played some fun maths games like Bingo! And they learnt to be a ‘Bucket Filler’ who fills up others’ buckets with kind words and actions!
In Week 4 of Term 1, the Foundation students have been strengthening their fine motor skills with activities like threading, cutting and sorting.
# 2 Facilities – state of the art
We are excited to announce that our school is undergoing a major upgrade in 2023! New, custom-designed learning spaces will include 8 flexible learning spaces with break-out areas and small-group learning rooms for your child to develop and thrive, and to learn in different learning styles.
The new buildings will also feature a well-resourced library to inspire lifelong readers, and a modern and fully equipped STEAM learning space and Food Technology space to engage students in learning principles in science, technology, engineering and maths. The Performing Arts space will encourage children to explore their emotions, expand their imagination and help them develop their own unique voice.
Other facilities include:
- Spacious playgrounds including soccer, football and cricket oval, basketball and netball courts, play equipment and sand pit.
- Large, well-equipped art room.
- Modern, multipurpose centre.
- Out of School Hours Care- Before school, After School and Holiday programs.
# 3 Wellbeing – nurturing and supporting students
At Glen Waverley South Primary School, each child’s wellbeing is nurtured and supported by all staff. Our school is proud to partner with ‘The Resilience Project’ to develop students’ resilience and improve their mental health.
We also offer:
- Well-developed student leadership program.
- Pathways and support for transition to secondary education.
- Buddy system to connect older and younger students.
- Junior School Council to provide student voice and agency.
- Green Team to support sustainability in the school.
# 4 Learning and Teaching – a culture of excellence
Our learning and teaching philosophy underpins all that we do at Glen Waverley South Primary School. We are proud of our innovative curriculum and culture of excellence. Annual data collected by the Department of Education demonstrates that our student achievement in Mathematics and English is well above the state-wide average. We aim to challenge students to achieve personal success and make positive contributions to society.
- A range of opportunities for students to participate in enrichment programs including the Victorian High Ability program, Maths Olympiad and UNSW ICAS competitions.
- Literacy and Numeracy support improves students’ foundational skills in reading, writing and maths and develops engagement in learning.
- A stimulating specialist curriculum – including Japanese, Visual and Performing Arts, Critical Literacy and Physical Education caters for student interests.
- High quality STEAM education develops children's critical thinking skills.
- Quality EAL (English as an Additional Language) support.
- Musical instrument program, choir and rock band.
- Victorian School State Spectacular.
- Lunchtime STEAM and Library clubs.
- PMP (Perceptual Motor Program) in Foundation.
- Biennial school musical production.
# 5 Community – everyone is welcome
Last but not least, # 5 Community! We are privileged to welcome students and families from all over the world to our school. We have a diverse student population and celebrate the wide range of experiences, backgrounds and cultures at Glen Waverley South Primary School.
There are many opportunities for families to connect with our school, including being involved in School Council, fundraising, school events such as Twilight Sports, Meet and Greet sessions, student reporting interviews and helping in the classroom.
You are always welcome to contact the school or your child’s teacher for support.