Yard Duty Policy
At Glen Waverley South we are committed to providing a safe environment for all students. Teachers have a Duty Of Care. As part of that duty, teachers are required to supervise students adequately and are required to exercise their supervisory duties in such a way that students are, as far as can be reasonably expected, protected from injury.
To vigilantly provide a safe environment for all our students.
- Teachers will be timetabled to be on Yard Duty during the following times:
o 15 minutes before the commencement of school
o During recess
o During the lunch break
o 15 minutes at the end of the day
- Teachers must be on duty promptly as per timetable. If a teacher is unable to be on duty, substitute arrangements must be made.
- Teachers will patrol the yard to ensure that all areas are safe. At no time should students be left totally unsupervised in the playground.
- Teachers shall periodically check the playground equipment and report any potentially dangerous or faulty equipment to the principal or Health and Safety Officer.
- Students should be made aware that any dangerous or harmful equipment or substances, eg syringes, broken glass, articles with blood, should not be handled but should be reported to the teacher on duty.
- All incidents of bullying will be handled in accordance with the School’s Discipline Policy.
Ongoing evaluation of the Yard Duty Policy will be conducted as the need arises.